The Link is a quarterly newsletter produced in coordination between Friends, the National Wildlife Refuge Association and Coalition of Refuge Friends & Advocates.
From the Editor
Though an especially warm day makes it seem like summer is lingering, fall is officially here. Students are back in school, foliage is drying and taking on new color, and décor for Halloween and Christmas is easy to find on store shelves. Time to update Friends with an issue of The Link!
It’s also time to congratulate two Friends organizations that have been recognized for noteworthy accomplishments this year:
- Friends of Ottawa NWR (OH), known for their “unwavering commitment and enthusiasm,” were named the Molly Krival Award – Friends Group of the Year by the National Wildlife Refuge Association (Refuge Association). Read about the many accomplishments of this deserving group on the Refuge Association website
- The Friends of Haystack Rock (OR) were awarded the O’Brien Prize for Refuge Friends. This annual honor recognizes the outstanding efforts of Friends who “work tirelessly to protect and enhance the natural wonders of our national wildlife refuges.” More details and photos are on the Refuge Association’s blog
Your editorial staff invites you to sit back, relax, and take a virtual trip around the country to see Friends in action in their special places.
Enjoy Our Summer/Fall Issue!
- Virtual Hill Days Offer Advocacy Opportunities for Refuge and Hatchery Friends, Libby Marking, National Wildlife Refuge Association
- Advocacy in Action – Via Zoom, Barb Howard, Friends of the Tampa Bay NWRs
- Advocacy in Action – In Person at the Refuge, Cheryl Hart, Friends of Tualatin River NWR
- What’s Up with the Coalition of Refuge Friends and Advocates (CORFA), Joan Patterson, Coalition of Refuge Friends and Advocates (CORFA)
- Your CORFA Board Says: “Help Wanted!”
- I Think I’ll Go Outside for a While, Lisa Jansen-Rees, Friends of the Wichitas
- A Trip Around the Country – No Packing Required, A Photo Tour
- Previews of Coming Webinars, Sue Wilder, Coalition of Refuge Friends and Advocates
Thank you for all you do for national wildlife refuges,
Friends of Sherburne National Wildlife Refuge, MN
The Summer/Fall 2023 version of The Link has been a coordinated effort between the National Wildlife Refuge Association and Coalition of Refuge Friends & Advocates.
To receive the next issue of The Link, complete the form at the bottom of this page https://www.refugeassociation.org/refuge-friends-mailing-list. And please add refugeassociation.org to the safe list for your email account.
You’re invited to join the CORFA Facebook group, a place to connect with other amazing members of the Friends community to share information, insights, and experiences concerning nonprofit governance, management, and advocacy. Go to https://www.facebook.com/groups/coalitionofrefugefriends/ and request to join this private group.
- Sue Hix (Editor) – Friends of Sherburne NWR
- Joan Patterson (Co-editor)—Coalition of Refuge Friends and Advocates
- Eden Taylor (designer)— NWRA Communications Associate
- Friends Editorial Staff:
- Cheryl Hart—NWRA Board, Board member of Friends of Tualatin River NWR
- Kathy Woodward—Former NWRA Board Member, Board member of Friends of Great Swamp NWR
- Lisa Jansen-Rees—Coalition of Refuge Friends and Advocates Board, Board member for Friends of the Wichitas NWR