The mission of the Coalition of Refuge Friends and Advocates (CORFA) is to foster a network of nonprofit organizations supporting the National Wildlife Refuge System and the National Fish Hatchery System.
WHO IS CORFA?
CORFA is a community of Friends members collaborating to strengthen our organizations and our ability to support refuges, hatcheries, and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (the Service). Together we are creating a network of support.
The seed for the Coalition of Refuge Friends and Advocates (CORFA) began during the federal government shutdown in 2013. At that time a Friends member set up a Facebook group for Friends, and soon Friends were sharing information about the shutdown and what they were doing to adjust to the situation. The site proved to be a valuable resource where Friends could share their questions and knowledge on nonprofit governance, programs, and activities as well as voice their concerns and triumphs. Over time, that Facebook group became known as the CORFA.
In 2020, CORFA incorporated in the Commonwealth of Virginia and signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with National Wildlife Refuge Association to formalize our long-standing partnership. CORFA is a not for profit organization, yet we are not a 501(c)(3). Therefore the National Wildlife Refuge Association is CORFA’s fiscal sponsor. We work together and with you, the Friends community, to fulfill our mission.
Our programs and activities are facilitated by a small core team that helps to jump start programs and identify resources in the Friends community. All of the programs are possible because of partnerships with Friends, National Wildlife Refuge Association (NWRA), and U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (Service). Programs focus on:
- Coalition of Refuge Friends and Advocates Facebook group a private Facebook group. It is a place to ask questions and share information, insights, and experiences.
- The Link: A quarterly newsletter produced in cooperation with NWRA features articles, by Friends, to highlight their group’s successful activities and programs, upcoming events, and other useful news.
- Webinars presented at least once a month to address topics dealing with our partnership with USFWS, operations of our nonprofits, and legislative issues affecting the refuge system. These webinars are presented in partnership with NWRA. Webinar presenters are Friends members, Service NWRA staff, and other experts. You can find recordings of past webinars in the Resource Center tab, in the Webinars category, on this website.
- Our website, sponsored by NWRA, contains blogs on issues of interest to Friends, a listing of free or low cost webinars for nonprofits, and a Resource Center just for Friends.
- Help for Friends via email. Contact email@example.com
SUPPORTING ADVOCACY FOR:
- The needs of the Friends community. CORFA submits testimony in support of the re-authorization of the NWRS Volunteer and Community Partnership Enhancement Act.
- Needs of the Refuge Systems that have been identified by NWRA. FY 2022 testimony supporting increased funding for the NWRS.
- Encourage Friends to support advocacy needs a specific refuges and hatcheries